About the Chapter
The Central Iowa Chapter of the National Weather Association's goal is to improve the weather knowledge of the general public.
The chapter works on projects with the goal of benefiting the local community. We also provide grants for various weather-related projects. For more information about our chapter, please browse the rest of our website.
Visit the National Organization
*** Conference Update - Confirmed Speakers (12/29/2022) ***
The following speakers are confirmed for this years conference:
- James Spann, ABC 33/40, will look back on the 2011 SuperOutbreak and discuss how things might be different if it happened now.
- Brantley Hargrove, author of "The Man Who Caught the Storm", will be our banquet speaker covering the life of accomplishments of Tim Samaras.
- Matt Kumjian, Pennsylvania State University, will discuss the current state of hail forecasting.
- Cameron Nixon, Central Michigan University, will demonstrate the use of hodographs to diagnose severe weather threat.
- Pam Heinselman, NSSL, will explore the Warn On Forecast system.
- Kenzie Krocak, University of Oklahoma/CSWIRO, will cover what social science research tells us about our tornado warning process.
- Dio Ayala, Madison County Iowa Emergency Management, will speak on on the Winterset Iowa EF-4 tornado of March 2022.
- Dustin Jordan, SOO, NWS-Jackson, KY, will discuss the devastating flooding in eastern Kentucky during summer 2022.
- Dan Allers, Mayor, Ft. Myers Beach, FL, will cover the impact of Hurricane Ian on his community, and share his own fascinating survival story.