About the Chapter
The Central Iowa Chapter of the National Weather Association's goal is to improve the weather knowledge of the general public.
The chapter works on projects with the goal of benefiting the local community. We also provide grants for various weather-related projects. For more information about our chapter, please browse the rest of our website.
Visit the National Organization
*** Conference Update - Confirmed Speakers (12/06/2023) ***
The following speakers are confirmed for this years conference:
- Dr. Greg Forbes, retired severe weather expert from The Weather Channel, will look back on the 50th anniversary of the 1974 Super Outbreak of tornadoes, and compare and contrast with the 2011 SuperOutbreak.
- Gayland Kitch, emergency manager for the city of Moore, OK, will look back on the 25th anniversary of the May 3, 1999 F5 tornado strike in Moore, and discuss how that event shaped response for the 2013 EF5 tornado and current policy.
- Jason York, Kentucky Emergency Management, will discuss how the Weather-Ready Nation program is reaching vulnerable populations like the Amish through innovative new weather radios.
- Dr. Aaron Hill, University of Oklahoma, will discuss the increasing use of Machine Learning for severe weather prediction.
- Dr. Jana Houser, The Ohio State University, will discuss the latest ideas on tornadogenesis.
- In addition, we will have several speakers discussing the March 31, 2023 tornado outbreak.