About the Chapter
The Central Iowa Chapter of the National Weather Association's goal is to improve the weather knowledge of the general public.
The chapter works on projects with the goal of benefiting the local community. We also provide grants for various weather-related projects. For more information about our chapter, please browse the rest of our website.
Visit the National Organization
*** Conference Update - Confirmed Speakers (02/11/2022) ***
The following speakers are confirmed for this years conference:
- Dr. Yvette Richardson, Penn State University, speaking on tornadogenesis.
- Rick Smith, NWS-OUN, will speak on mental health challenges for meteorologists in extreme events.
- Krissy Hurley, NWS-BNA, speaking on the deadly Waverly, TN flash floods of 2021.
- Fred Glass, NWS-STL, will speak on the Dec. 10 tornadoes in the St.Louis area including the Amazon Facility tornado strike.
- Tim Marshall will discuss tornado rating challenges and overview of the recent December 10 tornado impacts.
- Kathy Stewart O'Nan will give a mayor's perspective of the Mayfield, KY EF-4 tornado.
- Rick Smith, NWS-OUN, will also speak on the April 28, 2021 hailstorms in the Southern Plains.
- Brett McIntyre, WHO-TV (Des Moines), will cover the broadcast challenges associated with the warp-speed Dec 15 tornadoes.
- NWS-DMX personnel will cover the record-breaking December 15, 2021 warp-speed severe weather outbreak in Iowa.