About the Chapter
The Central Iowa Chapter of the National Weather Association's goal is to improve the weather knowledge of the general public.
The chapter works on projects with the goal of benefiting the local community. We also provide grants for various weather-related projects. For more information about our chapter, please browse the rest of our website.
Visit the National Organization
*** Conference Update - Invited Speakers (02/21/2017) ***
To kick off our 21st conference, we are bringing in some very special invited speakers:
- Matt Kumjian, The Pennsylvania State University, will discuss dual-polarization radar and its application to severe weather.
- Roger Wakimoto, outgoing National Science Foundation Assistant Director for Atmospheric Sciences and current President-Elect of the Amer. Meteor. Soc., will discuss the use
of new technologies in tornado damage surveys and what can be learned from the surveys.
- Bryan Karrick, News13 Orlando, FL, will talk about the Challenges presented by Hurricane Matthew.
- Steve Weiss, Storm Prediction Center, will discuss the tornado outbreak in Indiana in August 2016.
- Dave Nussbaum, WWLTV, New Orleans, LA, will present on their coverage of the New Orleans tornado.
- Ann and Bob Dixson, retired District Magistrate Judge and mayor of Greensburg respectively, will give the banquet keynote on a look back at the impact of the Greensburg, KS EF5 tornado, the recovery and transformation into a "Green Community" over 10 years.
- Shawn Wolford, Homeland Security and Emergency Management Director, Nicholas County, WV, will talk about the devastating WV floods in June 2016.
News & Announcements
Wednesday, March 8th, 2017
3140 Agronomy Hall, ISU campus
Meeting starts at 6:30pm
Willard Sharp will present on weather photography
2017 Conference Dates
March 30th - April 1st, 2017